Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Sunny Side Group

The "Sunny Side" Group!



I've recently realized something about myself that I do not like! I have a tendency to go through streaks where I constantly catch myself thinking about and focusing on, the negative side of things instead of the "bright"! I've heard the phrase "look at the bright side" so many times that it's lost the intended affect. If my husband says, "look at the bright side…" I often just groan inside and then wander off and continue to bicker, mumble and complain to myself or other people. I do this despite the fact that I devoted an entire chapter of my book to the subject of "focusing on SOLUTIONS" instead of the "PROBLEM" at hand. For the most part, this is the way I live my life, but I still have those NEGATIVE streaks. The truth is, complaining, bickering, arguing, etc, ALWAYS causes my life to be frustrating, difficult and miserable!! This is why I'm confessing this issue to everyone and I'm bound and determined to break this horrible habit!! I'm asking everyone who reads this blog including my family, friends and even casual acquaintances to please hold me accountable. If you ever catch me writing, talking or even thinking about the negative side of anything, CALL ME OUT! I want you to BUST me on the spot! I've asked my husband to use the phrase, "focus on the SUNNY side, HONEY" instead of the old cliché' "Look at the bright side" since that phrase seems to always trigger negative feelings in my mind.

I know that some people would much rather discuss negative rumors, gossip and many other situations of this nature. It's very easy to and even somewhat enjoyable to get together with a small group of people and feed off this negative energy. I've been caught in this trap many times! I declare myself "GUILTY as charged charged". It's human nature to take the "easy road" by adding our own little negative spin to a conversation or even starting the flow of negative energy hoping that others will join in. We all seem to have a natural weakness for being attracted negative information. If you want proof just read the headlines in any news source, TV, internet, newspaper, etc. The headlines are almost always focused on negative stuff because that's what attracts readers and viewers. In fact, I've completely stopped watching the "news" because it makes me feel depressed! As I previously stated, focusing on negative things such as criticizing, condemning or complaining always results in making my life miserable! I recently to read a book written by the richest, most powerful and wisest man who ever lived. I believe success breads success and even though I'm not much of a reader, I decided to take 5 minutes a day to learn what this man had to say about true success. The man is King Solomon and the book is Proverbs. It has 31 chapters and I read 1 chapter every day of the month. Yesterday was the 15th and here are some tidbits that hit me really hard. Proverbs 15:4 "Gentle words bring life and health; griping brings discouragement."
15:15 "When a man (or woman) is gloomy, everything seems to go wrong; when she is cheerful, everything seems right" 15:30 "Pleasant sights and good reports give happiness and health." The entire 15th chapter seemed to say to me, If you want to be miserable, unsuccessful, and depressed, hang around negative people and focus on negative information. If you want a great life, full of joy, success and happiness, hang around positive people and focus on the "sunny side" of your circumstances. As a result, I've made a decision. From this day forward, I'm done poisoning my life with negative people, conversations, actions, thoughts, etc! Instead, I'm rededicated to hanging out and communicating with positive people, focusing on solutions instead of problems, looking for the sunny side of my circumstances instead of all the negative situations and events that occur in life.

I want to find at least 100 women who are willing to join me! We'll call it The Sunny side… Honey! This doesn't mean that you can't tell us about negative situations, events or problems that you are going through. There is nothing wrong with expressing these things to the group. Together, we'll help each other find and concentrate on the solutions so we can get through tough times. We'll team up to focus on the SUNNY side… honey! I'd like to incorporate this into the Rally Room since this is one of the many reasons I created the RR in the first place! If you haven't joined the Rally Room I encourage doing so. It will change your life! If you already are a Rally Room member, and want to commit or re-commit to this positive group, please respond to this post. Feel free to add your own special twist in your post but don't feel obligated. It's fine to just say something like, "I'm in! But, if you have any additional thoughts, insights and/or stories that popped into your mind regarding this topic, please jot them down in your post. Please keep in mind this is not a writing contest or anything like that. I know most of us don't have tons of extra time and energy and I don't want that to stop you from joining us. I'm member 1, who wants to be member 2, 3, 4…?

xoxoxo~
BuffMother!
www.BuffMother.com

2 comments:

  1. Michelle
    Your post is so timely, since I was just having the same situation personally in my life this past couple of weeks. I found myself focusing on the negative things in others that were disappointing me and I found myself FOCUSING on that, festering....and it was upsetting me so much and just poisoning my days. I ended up speaking with a good friend of mine, and I swear God was talking to me through her, and she said, why don't you look at it this way, stop whining about what others aren't doing....you can't control that, maybe start thinking about the reasons behind why they are uninterested, selfish or sad...ASK about them, ask how you can help them, serve them, inspire them. Let me tell you that conversation totally turned me around!!! It was just what I needed to get back into an inspiring motivating excited happy "place". That's why I am here, to be grateful and humble and inspire others with my journey, I hope.
    I'd love to join the Rally Room; and this might be a silly question but I'm not a mom!!! Can I still join? ;-)

    You are awesome and such an inspiration, physically and spiritually!!! Keep it up!!
    You Rock!!!

    Kelly O

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Kelly!
    You are more than welcome in the Rally Room~ You'd be an AWESOME addition.
    And we have many women in there that are not mothers ;)

    Thanks so much for your sweet heartfelt comment!
    Your new friend,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete